An Agile project's success also depends a lot on the Agile Project Manager. The decisions he takes and the emphasis he provides on certain areas will pave the way for a successful Agile Project. In this post, I provide some key points that an Agile Project Manager should focus on, for the betterment of an Agile Project
- Employee hiring
- First and foremost, an Agile Project Manager needs to hire the right people for the project. Apart from the technical skills and non-technical skills required of Agile teams, it is imperative that the chosen candidates adopt to the Agile practices and are themselves Agile.
- Technical and Non-technical grooming
- Once into the project, the candidates needs to be groomed to meet the project needs and also grow further.
- Employee motivation
- I always believed that Employee motivation is one of the Critical Success Factor of an Agile Project, for that matter any project. Motivated employees can do wonders if provided with the right environment. Motivated employees go that extra mile to achieve the common goals. Hence an Agile Project Manager needs to put high emphasis on this point.
- Engineering Practices
- There are a lot of engineering practices that make an Agile project successful. An Agile Project Manager should focus on putting the right Engineering Practices to place. He/She should not forget that there is an overhead in following certain practices, but once fully functional, they start to provide high returns on the investment. For ex. following Automated Unit tests and TDD can be very difficult to start with, but over time, developers get into that practice and the results start to follow.